Check any sweets menu. Your choices are usually vanilla, chocolate and maybe strawberry. If the same old desserts are making you yawn, it’s time for a wake-up cake. Lucky for you, this tangy grapefruit and ginger-enhanced vegan version delivers. Made with whole grain flours, organic poppy seeds, coconut milk and pink salt, there’s absolutely nothing average about it. Suddenly, the choice seems easy.
Poppy Seed Cake With Grapefruit Syrup & Ginger Sugar (Vegan)
Poppy Seed Cake
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
1 cup vegan margarine
2 cups sugar
Egg replacer equivalent to 3 eggs
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup barley flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Frontier® Himalayan Pink Salt
1-1/2 Tbsp. grapefruit zest
2 Tbsp. Frontier® Whole Poppy Seeds
1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. Frontier® Ginger Root Powder
Poppy Seed Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 10″ bundt pan.
- In small bowl, combine apple cider vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat margarine and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg replacer.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to margarine mixture, alternating with milk mixture. Stir until smooth. Fold in grapefruit zest and poppy seeds, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack, turning out onto a plate when cool enough to handle.
Grapefruit Syrup & Ginger Sugar
- In small, heavy saucepan, combine grapefruit juice and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring a few times.
- Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook syrup for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened (you will have a scant 1/3 cup); remove from burner and let cool.
- For ginger sugar, combine sugar and ginger in small bowl and stir until ginger is well distributed.
- Using toothpick, pierce top of cake in 18 to 20 places and brush syrup over cake 3 to 4 times, allowing it to seep in as you brush.
- Sprinkle ginger sugar over top of cake and let cool for 30 minutes; loosen edges with a knife and cut.
- Enjoy cake warm or at room temperature.