What makes a cozy autumn morning even cozier? Bundle up in a bathrobe, slide on your slippers and pull up a chair at the breakfast table for a steaming slice of homemade pumpkin French toast. Not your typical egg-dipped, butter-fried slice, this vegan (and seasonal!) version of the classic morning fave is made with chia or flax egg substitutes, gluten-free bread and a quick pan toast in healthy coconut oil.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast
Makes 6 slices
3 chia/flax eggs
½ cup unsweetened coconut cream
1-½ cups pumpkin puree
2 tsp. vanilla
3 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ground ginger
Optional: ¼ tsp. allspice
6 slices high-fiber gluten-free bread
- Prepare chia/flax eggs.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk or stir together coconut cream, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Add chia/flax eggs, followed by spices and stir to combine.
- Generously soak each slice of bread in batter.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil and stir until melted.
- Place 2 slices of bread in skillet and pan fry until golden-brown color and desired softness or crispiness. Repeat to cook all slices.
- Top with your favorite toppings. (I love to mash bananas with nuts or nut butter and drizzle over the top, or add fresh berries.)