Do you love classic Italian flavors with veggie-inspired flare? Then you’re going to be crazy a-boat this lasagna recipe! These baked spaghetti squash boats are stuffed with homemade tomato sauce, mushrooms, spinach onions, fresh herbs and protein-packed lentils. The best part? This meal is a 2-for-1 deal! In addition to creating a savory and family-friendly dinner from the squash itself, you can use the discarded seeds to roast for a snack or even make granola!
Yields 2 servings
1 large spaghetti squash
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup TruRoots Organic Sprouted Green Lentils, cooked
2 cups homemade tomato sauce
4 cups baby spinach (2 handfuls)
4 oz. baby bella mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tsp. Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
1 tsp. Spicely Organics Ground Black Pepper
Nutritional yeast and/or vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove and transfer seeds to paper towel or cloth to dry. Scoop out slimy flesh.
2. Transfer squash halves onto pan—inside facing up. Lightly drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile sauté garlic, mushrooms and onions in pan to make the filling. Mix in spinach to wilt. Add cooked lentils and continue stirring.
4. When ready, use fork to scrape down the spaghetti squash to create “noodles.” Transfer to separate bowl and set aside.
5. Pour sauce into the wells of each squash boat followed by the “noodles.” Then layer on lentil mixture. Repeat until boats are filled—ending with a layer of “noodles.” Optional: Sprinkle nutritional yeast and/or vegan mozzarella on top.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until top is golden and sauce starts to bubble. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil and parsley. Serve immediately.