Better-for-you comfort food recipes are the ultimate go-to when it comes to family mealtime. Together, chow down on this hearty, hot and whole-food-based veggie pot pie, which pairs well with a fresh and simple side salad. Plus, enjoy the unique addition of organic mushroom powder that contains a blend of shiitake, cordyceps and reishi, which supports healthy function of human immune cells.† But shhh, this unusual ingredient can be our little secret!
Vegetarian Mushroom Pot Pie
- 12 oz. white button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large carrot, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. mushroom powder
- 1 small russet potato, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry or frozen pie dough
- Cooking oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove puff pastry (or frozen pie dough) from freezer to defrost for 30 minutes.
Heat pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil, onions, potatoes and carrots. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add flour and mix until it cooks off and vegetables thicken. Add broth, mushroom powder, peas, parsley and cashew milk. Cook over medium heat 4-5 minutes until liquid thickens into creamy consistency.
Grease 8x8-in. baking dish. Pour pot pie filling. Using kitchen shears, cut around dough to fit top of filling. Fold corners into dish.
In small dish, mix beaten egg and dash of salt. Brush on top of dough. Bake 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Shop Vitacost.com and we'll pack up the pantry essentials you need to make this recipe! Click here:
- For more on mushrooms, check out our Mushroom Guide: Different Types & Their Health Benefits.