For plant-based chefs, the stakes are high. When you’re cooking for a mixed crowd, there’s a chance someone won’t pick up what you’re putting down. But you can take the heat. Of course, you won’t say no to a little competitive advantage, which is why you need this vegan version of eggplant Parmesan in your wheelhouse. With fresh vegetables and aromatic, Italian herbs, this cheese-free and oil-free dinner serves up layers of flavor. No one will miss the melted dairy or drizzle of EVOO. In fact, as the (eggplant) stacks pile up, you’ll watch those stakes come crashing down.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes into rounds and set aside.
- Cut eggplants into medium-sized rounds and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle Italian herb blend over eggplant and bake 30-40 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork. Let cool.
- While eggplant is baking, prepare the sauce: In a food processor, add Brazil nuts and pulse a few times until slightly broken down. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Lay a piece of eggplant on a plate, top with “Parmesan,” a tomato round and a basil leaf. Continue to layer and create stacks until all eggplant is used. Top with paprika, if desired.