Salsa calls to mind the color red, but it typically comes from tomatoes, not exotic citrus fruit. But blood oranges make a juicy, tempting topping for tilapia when combined with other tortilla dip-friendly ingredients like finely chopped red onion, spicy bits of jalapeno and creamy avocado chunks. Make this creative fish dish for a meal that has loads of gourmet flair, without a lot of fuss.
Baked Tilapia with Homemade Blood Orange Salsa
4 tilapia filets
Salt-free lime seasoning or seasoning of choice
1 avocado, chopped
2 blood oranges, peeled/chopped
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1 to 2 tsp. minced jalapeno peppers
½ Tbsp. agave
Juice of ½ lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and arrange tilapia filets on sheet. Sprinkle filets with seasoning.
- Bake filets for 20 minutes or until done to your liking.
- While tilapia is baking, combine remaining ingredients in large bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for at least five minutes for flavors to combine.
- Top tilapia with salsa and serve.