You like potato and he likes potahto, but before you call the whole thing off, consider a dish that appeals to all kinds of potato lovers. Served as a meatless main course or as a hearty side dish, this “cheesy” scalloped potato casserole will end squabbles – you’ll be too busy devouring the creamy-cheese-covered broccoli and potato to do much of anything else. Once you’ve cleared your plate and filled your belly, you can move on to the tomato or tomahto discussion. Creamy tomato basil soup will help settle the score.
3 cups Vegan Cheese Sauce
3-4 tsp. minced garlic (or freshly minced garlic)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
3 lbs. yellow potatoes (about 7 small), sliced into thin, even rounds
1-1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
Panko breadcrumbs, optional, to top
Vegan bacon jerky, diced, to top (or Crispy Fake Bacon Bits)
Chives, diced, to top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large bowl of ice water, soak sliced potato for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- In small skillet over medium heat, sauté diced onions for 8-10 minutes. Stir in garlic and turn off heat. Add diced broccoli and cheese sauce. Stir until combined.
- In 2-quart casserole dish, add about 2 cups cheese sauce and spread it out around bottom of dish. Line dish with potato rounds sticking straight up; make a ring and then fill it in with rounds.
- Spread remaining cheese sauce over entire dish. If desired, sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake for about an hour and 10 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for about 10-15 more minutes.
- If desired, broil for about 3-5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with diced chives and diced jerky or Fake Bacon Bits.