There’s a time to splurge—and there are times when you just want chocolate without having to worry about damage control (is that really too much to ask?). These cupcakes give you the best of both worlds: rich, indulgent chocolatly flavor and a dessert that’s easy on your conscience (and your waistline!). Without the icing, the cake is actually vegan. Top it off with frosting made from low-fat and natural ingredients (no food coloring required), and guilt will be the last thing on your mind.
Chocolate Cake Bars with Homemade Raspberry Icing
Makes 20 cake bars
3 Tbsp. cacao powder
2 cups oat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. honey
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips
¼ cup powdered sugar substitute
1-2 Tbsp. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ cup low-fat cottage cheese
8 oz. low-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
¾ cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9”x13” baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all cake dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine cake wet ingredients and use hand mixer to blend until well combined. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking dish; bake cake for 20 minutes.
- To make frosting, combine all ingredients in bowl and mix until smooth. Frost bars.
(Note: Refrigerate bars if storing. )