Coffee cake is a gateway treat. When you have a doughy pastry, you can’t help but crave a cup of Joe. But when you’re already a full-fledged java junkie, the cinnamon swirls no longer satisfy your sweet tooth. You need coffee banana bread. The batter is infused with espresso powder and then crowded with chocolate-covered coffee beans. If a slab of this crumbly loaf doesn’t fix your cravings, nothing will.
3 peeled bananas
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp. flax meal + 6 Tbsp. warm water)
1/3 cup melted Vitacost Organic Coconut Oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups Vitacost Gluten-Free Multi-Blend Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. espresso powder
1/2 cup Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips
1/2 cup Vitacost Dark Chocolate Coffee Beans, crushed
1 Chocolate Marshmallow Enjoy Life Foods Grain and Seed Bar, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using the back of a fork, mash the bananas.
3. Add sugar, flax egg mixture, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and espresso powder.
5. Stir together banana mixture with flour mixture; mix until blended.
6. In a small bowl, mix together mini chips and chocolate-covered espresso beans. Reserve 2 tablespoons for topping. Add the rest to the batter, stirring to incorporate.
7. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle reserved chips and espresso beans plus crumbled grain and seed bar over top.
8. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.