Often served for special occasions, flan is a traditional European custard dessert drenched in caramel. But there’s something that can make this rich and luxurious treat just a little bit better – chocolate! Simply melt chocolate (bittersweet is best!) and pour it into the mix before baking. Serve with fresh fruit and a drizzle of chocolate syrup for a festive finish.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp. vanilla bean seeds or vanilla extract, divided
- 1 can Santini California Farms Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Santini California Farms Organic Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup melted chocolate (Use semisweet, dark or milk chocolate chips*)
- Chocolate syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well and carefully cook until mixture is golden, thick and syrupy (not watery). Remove from heat immediately. Tip: Avoid overcooking or caramel will become bitter.
Pour caramel into 9.5-in. glass pie plate or baking pan. Swirl mixture around to coat bottom and sides of pan.
In bowl (or blender), whisk evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs and remaining vanilla. Slowly mix in melted chocolate. Pour mixture into caramel-coated dish.
To bake, use water bath or bain-marie method.** Bake for approximately 1 hour. Tip: To avoid overcooking, check frequently for doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center. It should come out semi-clean and flan should have a solid jiggle.
When ready, carefully remove flan from water bath. Let cool fully then refrigerate for 7-8 hours to set and firm.
To serve, use a sharp knife to loosen edges from pie dish (give the plate a little shake). Carefully flip flan onto serving platter. Top with fresh fruits and a drizzle of chocolate syrup if desired.
- *For melted chocolate you can use cocoa powder or chocolate chips. If using powder, pour 1/3 cup into bowl and add hot water until smooth syrup forms. Set aside for 5-10 minutes before using. You can also add a pinch of instant coffee to the mix to enhance the flavor.
- *If using chocolate chips, heat 1/2 cup in pot on stovetop or in microwave. You can add a pinch of instant coffee for this method, too!
- **To bake using a water bath or bain-marie method, use two sturdy baking pans. Fill one with water, then place pan with flan on top (fill bottom pan with enough water so it surrounds pan with flan). The water will eventually evaporate while cooking.
- Order the ingredients you need to make this recipe at Vitacost!