Everyone knows the familiar crunch of a good apple – the skin snaps with every bite and sweet juice runs down your chin. Baked into a pie, peeled slices become exquisitely tender with a delicate flavor that’s enhanced by autumn spices. This all-American dessert showcases the top fruit of the season, tucked into a hearty cheddar crust. With a unique layering technique, every bite is full of adventurous texture, and the warm, baked-cheese crust unexpectedly complements the sweetness!
Cinnamon Apple Pie With Cheddar Crust
Makes 1 pie
¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
¾ cup sugar
6-8 tablespoons milk, cold
2-½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tsp. sea salt
2 egg yolks
1 egg for wash, beaten with 1Tbsp. of water
11 cups apples*, cored and thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. Frontier® vanilla extract
1 tsp. Frontier® cinnamon
½ tsp. Frontier® ground ginger
⅛ tsp. Frontier® ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp. Frontier® ground cloves
½ cup, plus 2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
½ cup plus 2 tsp. sugar
½ cup brown sugar
*Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples work well.
- In food processor, combine all dry crust ingredients and butter. Pulse until coarse and pea-sized (about 6 to 8 pulses). Add egg yolks and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until mixture clumps and dough sticks together when pinched. (Note: Be careful not to add too much milk.)
- Place dough on floured surface and work into two discs. (Note: Do not over knead). Dust each disc with flour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour (or up to 2 days. Dough may also be frozen).
- Remove dough from fridge and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle rolling pin and surface with flour and roll out dough to 12” circles, about 1/8” thickness.
- Arrange dough in greased pie plate, pressing down firmly and cutting edges to fit. Carefully pinch edges along rim to shape.
- Use knife (or pie crust cutter) to cut pattern in second disc and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- For filling, mix together sugars, spices, apples and lemon juice and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add mixture to crust (including juices). Place butter across top of filling, then top with second dough disc.
- Bake pie for 15 mintues, then remove from oven and brush with egg/water mixture. Sprinke with remaining sugar.
- Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking pie about 35 additional minutes, until crust is golden.
- Let pie cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.