Ever tasted an 86-calorie donut? Donut holes don’t count. I’m talking about a fully glazed and delightfully fluffy, coffee-dunking pastry. Though they’re small in stature, these mini protein treats could be doubled in size and still offer half the calories and a tenth the sugar of store-bought donuts. Nutrition aside, though, these cinnamon-spiced donuts are made with just enough sweet potato to hint at the flavors of fall without weighing down the batter. All you need now is that steaming cuppa Joe and a few minutes of solitude, so you can savor every last finger-licking bite.
Cinnamon-Spiced Sweet Potato Donuts
Makes 12 mini donuts or 6 regular size
Macros per piece: 86 calories | 3.8 g protein | 6.4 g carbs | 5.7 g fat | 1.8 g fiber | 1.2 g sugar
¼ cup almond meal flour
¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour, plus 2 Tbsp.
½ scoop vanilla protein powder
2 Tbsp. cooked sweet potato
¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. xylitol
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites
Glaze: ¼ cup melted Sweet Spreads Cinnamon Roll Coconutter or gluten-free cinnamon-raisin spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a mini donut pan (or regular size) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk sweet potato, yogurt, vanilla and egg whites until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter among 12 mini donut molds or 6 regular-size molds. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
- Let donuts cool completely before topping with glaze.
Dairy-free alternative: Substitute the yogurt for unsweetened applesauce.