Coconut milk is an extremely versatile ingredient to have on hand. You can use it to make anything from breakfast oatmeal, to curried vegetables, ice cream, baked goods and everything in between. But did you know that you can easily prepare this dairy-free milk on your own? With just a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry (coconut flakes, maple syrup and pink salt), you can effortlessly make multiple batches per week. This DIY coconut milk recipe is so incredibly simple to create that it makes pre-made, canned coconut milk seem like an inconvenience—I mean, who has time to drive all the way to the store, anyway?
Yields 1-1/2 cups coconut milk
- In high-speed blender, combine all ingredients and blend 1-2 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Pour into large glass jar and let sit 10 minutes.
- Using fine mesh strainer, strain coconut milk over a bowl to eliminate pulp. (If you prefer pulp in your coconut milk, skip this step.)
- Store milk and leftover pulp in fridge; use within 4-5 days.
Additional cooking tips:
- When straining coconut milk, it’s best to do so in batches and press coconut milk pulp to squeeze out liquid until milk is fully separated from pulp.
- Milk will separate in fridge; shake before using.
- Use leftover coconut pulp to use in other recipes like these raw cocoa nut cookies.