Making your own drain cleaner that’s free of toxins and chemicals is simpler than you may think. Plus, there’s a good chance you probably already have all the ingredients to make it in your pantry. The items in this recipe are commonly used for a variety of natural cleaning jobs. It just so happens they work great to unclog your drains, too!
Use this DIY mixture instead of commercial drain cleaners for a less toxic home, and be sure to share this natural cleaning tip with everyone you know!
- In small pot, heat vinegar over medium-high heat for around one minute. Remove from heat immediately when you see tiny bubbles form (do not boil).
- Pour into glass jar or measuring cup and set aside.
- Pour baking soda and salt directly down drain, followed by warm vinegar. Warning: You may see some foaming action along with not-so-lovely things come out of the drain! Resist the urge to rinse the area and let it sit for 15 minutes or even 20-30 for extremely clogged drains.
- Run hot water for a full minute.
- Rinse well and enjoy your clean drain—completely chemical-free!