During the warmer months, there’s nothing better than a crisp, cool meal for a satiating end-of-day refreshment. When you don’t feel like turning on the oven, this raw vegan lasagna should be your go-to. It’s hearty, saucy and super flavorful.
Made from fresh vegetables and dried herbs, you’ll experience the same flavors you’re used to from traditional lasagna—without the heat! To make this dish, a food processor, blender and mandolin are a few helpful kitchen tools to have. All that’s left is to turn up your favorite tunes and get ready to slice, chop and blend (and maybe even dance a little)!
1-2 large zucchinis
1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp. onion and herb seasoning
1 Medjool date or 2 Deglet Noor dates
2 tsp. coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Optional: 1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt (only if you’re using sun-dried tomatoes that have no salt added, taste test before adding)
- In food processor or high-speed blender, combine sauce ingredients until slightly chunky or smooth, whichever you prefer. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower in food processer and pulse until it starts to resemble a rice-like consistency. Add remaining “cheeze” ingredients and pulse until crumbly texture forms.
- To make lasagna layers, cut zucchini(s) in half lengthwise. Using a mandolin, thinly slice zucchini halves (1 zucchini should make around eight pieces).
- In glass baking dish, arrange 2 or 3 zucchini strips as a base (slightly overlapping).
- Layer 3-5 tablespoons tomato sauce on top. Arrange 3 overlapping zucchini slices on top of sauce.
- Layer on 3-5 tablespoons “cheeze” followed by 3 more overlapping zucchini strips.
- Layer on remaining sauce and cover with 3 overlapping strips of zucchini.
- Sprinkle dried herbs on top.
- Feel free to change the order of the layers.
- If you’re craving a heartier lasagna, dehydrate this dish by setting your oven (or dehydrator) to 118 degrees F for 1-2 hours.
For more quick, easy and filling vegan meal ideas from Marina, visit her site– Soul in the Raw — here.