Friends you haven’t seen in ages want to meet up to swap stories and crack jokes. You could do brunch at that little bistro downtown. But why battle a 45-minute wait? When a good breakfast spot is busy, you can’t carry a conversation, anyway. You’re better off sticking it out at home with this skillet breakfast hash. Though the recipe is simple, the flavors are far from dull. Everyone will be full to the brim with lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes and spicy add-ins. Don’t worry about those minutes of silence – that’s just the hash talking.
Fiesta Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 small red onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
2 handfuls baby spinach
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. liquid aminos
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. oregano
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large cast iron skillet, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add turkey and spices and cook, stirring to break up meat.
- In a separate frying pan, add sweet potatoes and a small amount of coconut oil. When sweet potatoes start to soften, add bell pepper, onion and chiles, and cook until lightly browned and softened.
- Add vegetable mixture, plus spinach leaves, to skillet with turkey and spices.
- Crack in eggs, gently.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are fully cooked.