Move over, s’mores. The gooey dessert sandwich is no longer just a campfire specialty. Featuring three distinct tiers, these chocolate sunseed bars tower over the smooshed s’more. To assemble, you’ll still need a flame and melted chocolate, but the similarities end there. Besides, you won’t miss marshmallow fingers when you’re biting into something that’s so richly satisfying. Think of a chocolate peanut butter cup without the nuts, dairy or gluten. Stacked high with sweet-and-savory flavor, these creamy, chocolate sunflower seed squares take dessert to a whole new level – three new levels, to be exact.
Makes 18 bars
1-1/2 cups Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour Mix
2 Tbsp. Vitacost Cocoa Powder
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. xanthan gum or 2 tsp. guar gum
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup Vitacost Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. ice water
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Sunflower Seed Center
1-1/4 cups sunflower seed butter
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8” x 8” baking dish with parchment paper.
- To prepare Chocolate Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, gum, cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, 3 tablespoons ice water, vinegar and vanilla.
- Drizzle oil and water mixture into flour mixture, and use a fork to stir together. Add remaining tablespoon ice water, if needed. Dough should be clumpy and sticking together, but not sticky or wet. Note: You can use your hands to combine to get a good feel for the dough.
- Press dough into prepared baking dish. Poke bottom with fork tines a few times. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from freezer and bake 20 minutes. Let cool completely, while you prepare the next layer.
- To prepare Sunflower Seed Center: In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, add all ingredients and whip until smooth and well combined. Pour over cooled chocolate crust, using a spatula to smooth down. Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- To prepare Chocolate Frosting: In a microwave-safe bowl, add mini chips, margarine and milk. Heat for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval until mixture is smooth. Be careful not to overheat.
- In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder and tapioca starch. Add melted chocolate and whisk until completely smooth. Pour half of the frosting over chilled sunflower seed center and smooth down. Place back in freezer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pour remaining frosting over top. Sprinkle on cacao nibs and cut into 18 even squares before serving.
*Bars will keep in refrigerator for about 5-6 days.