When it’s time for a snack, you could go with one of the standards: a protein bar, apple slices with peanut butter or yogurt and granola. Those favorites are perfectly fine on ordinary occasions, but today is special. Why? Because you’ve got these extraordinary gluten-free sunflower crackers in your bag, along with a container full of creamy, vegan avocado dip. Snack away!
1 large avocado
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic
1/2 jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine sunflower seeds, flour, salt and baking powder and process until mixture is a fine powder. Add water through spout while processor is running to make dough. Set dough aside on a sheet of parchment paper for about 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out between two sheets to a few millimeters thick. Cut into 20 squares or rectangles.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving half inch between crackers. Lightly spread olive oil on top and sprinkle with any desired spices and seeds (such as sea salt, black pepper, oregano, chia seeds or sesame seeds). Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
- While crackers bake, prepare dip. In a high-speed blender or clean food processor, puree cashews and water until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth, adding more or less water as needed to reach desired consistency.