You could buy a box of chocolates and a bouquet of red roses. You could make reservations at an elegant and romantic restaurant. Or, you could prepare an intimate dinner for two at home, and finish the evening off with slices of this cupid-approved chiffon cake. This heavenly dessert is baked with gluten-free baking flour for a rich, dense texture that’s easy on sensitive stomachs. Top the cake off with whipped cream and fruit or chocolate glaze for a luscious treat your Valentine is sure to love.
Gluten-Free Vanilla Chiffon Cake
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
1-½ cups sugar, divided
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
7 eggs, separated
¾ cup milk
½ cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip until stiff.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together milk, oil, vanilla and yolks.
- With an electric mixer, beat flour mixture into milk mixture for 2 minutes, until well combined.
- Gently mix a heaping scoop of whipped egg white mixture into batter until combined. With a wire whisk, gently fold the remaining egg white mixture into the batter, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour batter into a 10-inch tube or angel food pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Don’t open the door to the oven at all during baking. After 50 minutes, raise the temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake for 10 more minutes. If you press on the cake and the surface immediately springs back, the cake is done.
- Let the cake cool for 30 minutes by placing the pan upside down on a bottle-necked jar.
- Serve with your favorite chocolate glaze, frosting, powdered sugar or fruit and whipped cream.