Planning a fiesta this week? Think outside the taco shell and grill up a batch of these tasty turkey burgers, flavored with salsa, cilantro and cojita cheese and topped with spicy chipotle mayo for a south-of-the-border celebration on a bun. Besides fiery flavor and hearty texture, these plump patties are packed with protein and extra nutrition from flax seeds and fiber-rich rolled oats. They’re a healthy alternative to not just early-May Mexican-style dishes but to ordinary burgers any day of the week!
Grilled Southwest-Style Turkey Burgers
Makes 1 serving
2 Tbsp. salsa
¼ cup rolled oats
1 Tbsp. flax seeds
½ tsp. minced garlic
2 whole eggs
2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1-1/4 lbs. extra-lean ground turkey
1/8 cup cotija cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Topping: chipotle mayonnaise
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients (except topping) and mix well. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- Grill patties on barbeque until cooked through. (Note: Patties may also be baked in the oven.)
- Top with additional cheese just before done, if desired.
- Serve topped with chipotle mayonnaise.