As far as meatless burgers go, you can’t get much simpler than a slice of tofu—but prep has to be clever in order for it to not taste blah. This simple marinade turns mundane into mouthwatering, and all you need is an hour of time and a few pantry staples, like honey, teriyaki sauce, apple cider vinegar and Frontier spices. After it’s soaked up great flavor, cook your tofu patties on the grill along with fresh pineapple rounds for a tropical-Asian twist even non-vegetarians won’t be able to resist.
Grilled Tropical Teriyaki Tofu Burgers
1/2 lb. organic extra-firm tofu
¼ lb. fresh pineapple
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup vegan mayo (swap maple syrup for vegan)
1 cup water
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. vegan mayo*
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup white minced onion
1/2 tsp. ground ginger root
4 whole wheat buns
Garnish: fresh basil leaves
*Substitute any neutral-flavored organic oil, such as grapeseed, if you have peanut allergies.
**Substitute any chile sauce, or, if desired, simply omit.
- For marinade, whisk together soy sauce, honey, water, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, peanut oil, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Arrange tofu and pineapple in casserole dish. Pour on marinade, refrigerate and let sit for 1 hour (or up to overnight).
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or 375 degrees. (Note: Wood charcoal is best, but gas is fine. Do not use instant-light briquettes.)
- Remove tofu and pineapple from casserole dish, scraping away excess marinade. Place on grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Spread aioli on buns, then place face down on grill. Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place tofu and pineapple on buns and garnish with basil. Serve with extra aioli.