Stuck in a dinner rut? If you’re tired of serving the same boring ol’ side dishes again and again (white rice and mashed potatoes, we’re looking at you), it’s time to add a spicy, herbed pilaf to your plate. Made with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and herbs, this whole grain bulgur pilaf will steal the spotlight come dinnertime. Serve this scene-stealer with grilled meats and roasted veggies for a quick, but tasty weeknight meal. Bonus? This recipe is easily modified for sensitive eaters. If spicy isn’t your thing, omit or ease up on the red pepper flakes. Gluten free? Swap the bulgur for gluten-free kasha. Living the vegan life? Use agave in place of honey. This is one dish that will delight all members of your family.
Herbed Bulgur Pilaf with Tomatoes & Peppers
1 cup golden bulgur
1-½ cups tomatoes, diced (about 2 medium)
1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 1 medium)
1 cup onion, diced (about 1 medium)
1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1-½ cups water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp, honey
¼ cup green onion, sliced
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. mint, minced
- In a deep sauté pan over medium heat, heat olive oil and cook onion for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
- Add garlic and bell pepper to pan and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
- Mix in tomato paste and add diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until soft.
- Add water, bulgur, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 10-15 minutes until bulgur is soft. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Mix in lemon juice, honey, green onion, parsley and mint.
- Remove from heat and serve.