Plain cookies and cakes have their place, but for a true festive treat, a swirl of icing sweetens the deal. What isn’t so sweet is the added corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors in those foil-topped canisters of frosting from the supermarket. Even traditional homemade versions can include unwanted ingredients like eggs or yucky food additives like artificial dyes. The next time a confection calls for a colorful topping, make your own clean-eating, naturally tinted icing. With coconut milk, coconut oil and organic vanilla, this one whips up smooth and creamy, making it simple to spread. The best part? The customized hues are infused by 100% natural fruit, tea and spices.
Homemade Cookie & Cake Icing With Coconut Oil
Makes 1 cup (16 servings of 1 Tbsp. each)
2 cup confectioner’s sugar
½ cup light coconut milk
1 tsp. coconut oil
½ tsp. vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together confectioner’s sugar and coconut milk.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla, pinch of salt, and blend until smooth.
- Mix in suggestions below to make different colors without chemical food dyes.
Nutrition info: 68 calories; 1 gram fat; 15 grams carbs; 15 grams sugar; 0 grams protein
- Red/Pink = ¼ cup icing blended with 1 tsp. cranberry sauce or concentrated juice
- Green = ¼ cup icing blended with ½ tsp. matcha green tea
- Orange = ¼ cup icing blended with ½ tsp. turmeric
- Blue/Purple = ¼ cup icing blended with 1 tsp. concentrated blueberry juice
In a hurry? Skip the DIY colors and go with 100% plant-based food dyes from Color Kitchen.