Chai tea is an excellent alternative to coffee, thanks to its dark brew and bold flavor. Typically made with black tea, chai can give you that caffeinated boost you know and love. But for a bedtime soother, swap the base for rooibos tea. Either way, you’ll feel instantly calm with spices like ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg steaming under your nose. And as the cold months get colder, it’s nice to know you’re just a cup away from comfort.
1 cup loose black tea, green tea or rooibos tea
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
5 star anise, crushed or 1 tsp. anise seeds, ground
1/4 tsp. black pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into small glass jars and store in pantry.
- For a festive twist, add fresh orange peel, a vanilla bean or dried cranberries to your chai tea mix and blend in a food processor to combine. The added flavor will give your chai tea a special touch without any additional sugar or artificial ingredients.
To brew one cup chai tea:
- Add 1 cup hot water and 1 tablespoon chai tea mix to a French press or tea strainer. (Note: you can also brew your tea with a tea kettle or coffee maker.)
- Sweeten with liquid stevia, maple syrup or honey.
Bonus: Dress up the glass jar with a ribbon and bow to give to a party host, your kid’s teacher or beloved coworkers.