Two at the table? Count this recipe as dinner for the next few days, with each reheat as delicious as the first time it was served. Stuffed shells aren’t complicated, but classic recipes often come with a heaviness that makes them do-able only one night a week. Here, traditional ricotta is replaced by low-fat cottage cheese, with Italian-style chicken is added for a protein kick. Light and healthy, leftovers will be welcomed!
Italian Chicken Sausage Stuffed Shells
Makes 6 servings
1 lb. Italian-style ground chicken sausage
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
12 oz. jumbo-sized pasta shells
1 jar all-natural marinara sauce
2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese
¼ tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Cook shells according to package directions, with pinch of salt in water. Strain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a frying pan, melt a small amount of coconut oil over medium heat; add chicken sausage and break into pieces with wooden spoon. Saute chicken sausage until completely cooked through.
- In food processor or high-speed blender, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Transfer cheese to a bowl.
- Add garlic powder, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and chicken sausage to cottage cheese and stir well.
- Stuff shells with mixture, then pour on entire jar of marinara sauce. Top with additional Parmesan and mozzarella if desired.
- Bake shells for 15 minutes or until heated through.