If you’re making chili, you better go all…the…way! This is a dish that calls for every spice under the sun. You can’t be shy. And you certainly can’t pass off big flavors and expect to carry in a touchdown. Every spice, seasoning and vegetable has to be huddled together in the biggest pot you can find. Once the rich combination of garlic, cocoa powder, cinnamon and oregano meld, you’ll be able to feed a big crew this vegetarian version without any penalties. Loaded with flavor and protein-rich quinoa, the crowd will be fired up.
1 Tbsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Sweet Corn, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Ground Saigon Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Oregano Leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Vegetable Broth
1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Diced Tomatoes in Tomato Juice
1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Great Northern Beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Red Kidney Beans, drained
1/4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Quinoa
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, start heating oil.
- Add onion and sauté about 7 minutes.
- Add red pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder, cocoa, cinnamon, oregano and salt. Sauté another minute.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, beans and quinoa. Bring to a full, rolling boil before reducing heat to low and simmering for an hour, covered.
- Divide chili into 4-6 bowls and serve with shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream.
Make it vegan: Skip the sour cream and cheese on top, and add sliced avocado or vegan “cheese” instead.
Of course, you can also round out your chili bowl with some extra crunch, spice or side of carbs:
|Break up corn chips and sprinkle on top||Kick up the heat with jalapenos||Add a dollop of salsa for more flavor||Use squares of cornbread to clean the bowl|