The easiest meal to eat is the one that’s already made. You don’t have to make any decisions, you don’t have to spend an hour cooking and you don’t have to wash a sink full of dishes. That’s what you’ll love about these ready-made Mason jar salads. The most effort required is the chopping of cherry tomatoes and slicing of avocado. But it all pays off when you have a quick-and-healthy lunch that’s layered like a southwestern sunset. On second thought, something so pretty might actually be hard to eat.
Makes 3 meals
1 lb. ground turkey
1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8 oz.) package taco sauce
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chopped lettuce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, sliced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut all produce and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add cooking oil of choice.
- Once oil is hot, add onion, jalapeno, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Once turkey is fully cooked, add taco sauce and mix thoroughly. Let cool.
- To assemble Mason jars, divide ingredients into three even portions.
- For best results, layer in this order: ground turkey first, followed by corn, black beans, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and avocado.
- Squeeze lime over top (the citrus will help preserve the avocado) and seal the jars.
- Store in fridge for an easy, grab-and-go lunch.