Cereal, smoothies, oatmeal, muffins—your standard breakfast go-tos are starting to get a little stale. Add a refreshing, brightening burst to your morning with a slice of whole wheat bread. Not just any whole wheat bread will do, of course. You’ll need a loaf of this zesty, easy-to-make bread, loaded with fresh orange juice, orange zest, cranberries and chopped almonds. Enjoy it plain or spread on coconut oil or Blueberry Chia Seed Jam.
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
Zest of 1 large orange
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- First, combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar. Then, in a separate bowl, combine egg, butter, milk, orange juice and zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until almost combined.
- Gently mix in cranberries and almonds.
- Transfer mixture to pan, using a spatula to make sure the top is smooth.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without any crumbs.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes in the pan before cooling completely on a wire rack.
Note: Need gluten-free? Swap in Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Flour.