For many, indulging in pudding pie is a thing of the past. It’s a distant memory of store-bought graham cracker crust, filled to the brim with a boxed pudding mix. But why reminisce when you can still enjoy this decadent treat while skipping questionable ingredients? All you need to do is sub in a few better-for-you ingredients, such as dates, cacao powder and sunflower seeds. If you’re skeptical how these foods create the chocolaty dessert you remember, this recipe will take you back before it springs you forward to the ultimate, upgraded pie!
Paleo Chocolate Pudding Pie
Yields 8 slices
Whipped cream topping (optional)
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
- In food processor, pulse crust ingredients until crumbly consistency. Press into pie pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown, careful not to burn edges.
- In food processor, combine pudding ingredients (minus the strawberries). Cacao nibs will be broken into smaller pieces but not completely smooth.
- Pour pudding into crust once cooled. Top with strawberries.
- Chill in fridge 2 hours before serving.
- To make whipped cream, whisk coconut milk solids, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add a dollop of cream and slice!