Pumpkin pie is so 1700s. Bring your Thanksgiving dessert table into the 21st Century with a much more crowd-pleasing choice: pumpkin cake. Custard fans may balk at the idea…that is until they notice the cream cheese icing. Sitting atop two plush, pumpkin-spiced layers is a sweet, creamy spread that’s actually light on calories – something those lucky Pilgrims never worried about.
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat two mini cake pans with non-sticking cooking spray (or one 8” x 8” pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare frosting. Using a hand-held mixer, place all icing ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth. Note: You can also use a food processor on low.
- Once cakes have cooled, spread icing on top of each (if baking two tiers). Slice and serve.