As much as everyone loves the aroma of pie baking on a cold, winter day, if that day happens to be a holiday, the oven is probably booked. While casseroles, sweet potatoes and other components of your celebratory meal bake, whip up this raw-vegan pie on the side. Healthier than any cookie-crust and gelatin-filled instant concoction constructed from a boxed mix, it’s consciously created with pure cacao chocolate and velvety almond butter, plus a surprise icing ingredient that adds extra smoothness and healthy fat!
Raw Chocolate-Almond Butter Pie
Makes 16 slices
Raw chocolate icing
2 Tbsp. cacao powder
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- In a saucepan over very low heat, melt cacao butter. Remove from heat and stir in almond meal, cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Pour mixture into pie plate greased with coconut oil and tilt to spread evenly across bottom.
- Freeze pie for about 20 minutes to harden base.
- To make icing, mash avocado, then add maple syrup and cacao powder and mix until smooth.
- Remove pie from freezer and spread on almond butter for filling. Top with icing.
- Refrigerate pie for 2 hours before serving.