With climbing gyms opening in more communities, rock climbing has become less of a niche sport and more of an accessible hobby for people of all fitness levels. Chances are, you can find a climbing gym not far from your own home. If you’re looking for a new way to stay active or a challenging supplement to your current routine, rock climbing may be the answer.
Benefits of rock climbing
Rock climbing has a multitude of health benefits, ranging from physical to mental. The benefits alone are reason enough to give it a try.
- Offers full-body workout
- Burns up to 770 calories per hour
- Improves cardio and endurance
- Uses major muscles, including quads, hamstrings, glutes, deltoids, rotator cuff, chest and back
- Improves balance and agility in lower body
- Improves forearm and grip strength
- Relieves stress
- Improves focus
- Builds confidence
- Improves problem-solving skills
- Offers endless personal challenges
Get started rock climbing
Before getting started, educate yourself to set expectations. Search for nearby rock gyms or ask if your fitness facility has a rock wall. These are great places to start!
Attend an introductory class or take a tour of the facility, and use it as an opportunity to ask questions about getting started. Beginner classes can help educate you on safety, technique, gear and more.
Ready to start climbing? Adding rock climbing to your fitness routine three days a week is a solid start, but ensure you’re including a day of rest between workouts. You may start by renting climbing gear, but once you’re committed, it’s time to invest in your own equipment. Gear for beginners includes:
- Climbing shoes
- Comfortable clothes that stretch
- Climbing chalk and chalk bag
- Belay device
- Locking carabiner
Rock climbing safety
Safety is key when rock climbing to prevent injuries and get the most out of your workout. To stay safe:
- Always wear a helmet
- Check harness often
- Pay aware of surroundings and stay focused
- Check rope knots and loops
- Communicate with others
- Don’t climb alone
Rock climbing tips
- Have a positive attitude
- Climb with small groups
- Keep safety top of mind
- Take breaks and don’t push yourself beyond your limits
- Ensure trust among climbing partners
- Have fun!