A traffic jam, broken dishwasher, sick kid, stomach ache—no matter how big or small the unexpected daily challenge, one thing is for certain: you’ll cope better if your body is in good shape. Prepare yourself for modern battles with an ancient superfood, prized for its energizing and strength-supporting properties. Maca root, a nutrient-rich treasure harvested from high in the Peruvian mountains, comes in a scoopable powder you can easily sprinkle into smoothies for a nourishing boost. Combine it with fresh strawberries and dates, a splash of vanilla and your favorite non-dairy milk for a chilly drink that will help make any trouble more tolerable.
Strawberry-Maca Super Shake
Makes 1 shake
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Use 2-3 Tbsp. raw honey or maple syrup instead of dates.
- For a smoother shake, add an additional ½ cup each of strawberries and ice.
- For a thicker shake, freeze strawberries first.
- Add a banana to make a strawberry-banana shake.
- Pump up the superfood power by adding cacao powder, bee pollen or greens powder.
Nutrition info: 494 calories; 18 grams fat; 85 grams carbs; 12 grams fiber; 10 grams protein