“Kelp noodles?” you ask, with a grimace on your face. Relax! Made from a mineral-rich sea vegetable, these strange-sounding strands are not only delicious but also dairy free, egg free, gluten free and extremely low in calories. For a refreshingly different dish, try smothering them in a homemade spicy peanut sauce (naturally tinted red, thanks to the addition of grated beets) and tossing with crunchy, fresh veggies and herbs. It’s time to forget your doubts and grab your chopsticks!
Spicy Kelp Noodles With Peanut Sauce, Beets & Carrots
1 (12-oz.) pkg. kelp noodles
4 Tbsp. salted peanut butter
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1″ piece fresh ginger, grated
1 green onion, diced
½ cup lettuce, diced
2 carrots, grated
1 very small beet, grated
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1Tbsp. sesame seeds
¼ cup diced fresh cilantro
Topping: roasted peanuts
- Wash noodles according to package directions.
- To make peanut sauce, combine peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and garlic; mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine kelp noodles, lettuce, carrots and grated beet.
- Pour peanut sauce over salad and use hands to massage in.
- Garnish salad with fresh cilantro, green onions, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Add roasted peanuts on top to garnish.