If you want to eat healthier, go nuts! Just a handful of these edible seeds can be packed with powerful nutrients that may support normal cardiovascular health and help protect your body from harmful free radicals. Consider adding one or more of these five healthy nuts to your stockpile of snacks:
- Walnuts: An amazing source of omega-3 fatty acid, walnuts are a delicious and healthy snack that helps promote healthy cognitive function, inflammatory response and cholesterol levels already within normal range. They also contain high levels of antioxidants, such as ellagic acid and 16 different types of polyphenols, known for their role in protecting the body against dangerous free radicals.
- Pecans: These rich and buttery-tasting nuts aren’t just a great topping for your favorite dessert. They’re also an excellent source of over 19 vitamins and minerals, including zinc, calcium, magnesium, folic acid, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin E. Pecans are known for helping to support healthy cholesterol levels already within normal range.
- Brazil nuts: One ounce of Brazil nuts can contain almost 10 times the recommended daily allowance of selenium, which is a good thing! Selenium is used by the body to build antioxidants that protect cells from damage. Brazil nuts also contain protein, niacin, magnesium, copper and vitamin E.
- Almonds: One of California’s major food exports, almonds are a popular and widely used ingredient in snacks and desserts. They are rich in fiber, magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamin E and selenium, nutrients that support heart health and help maintain healthy cells. Almonds are also very calcium-dense, offering as much per quarter-cup as the same amount of milk.
- Macadamia nuts: These nuts are known for their role in supporting healthy cholesterol levels, due to their high nutrient content. In a macadamia nut, you’ll find lots of healthy monounsaturated fats, as well as fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus.
Just like anything else, nuts should be consumed in moderation. So next time you want a snack, grab a handful of nuts, and you’ll also be grabbing an array of helpful vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which may support normal health and well-being.