This Valentine’s Day, demonstrate your love with homemade goodies that show just how much you care. Pair these rose-water-infused valentine cookies with a box of homemade chocolate, and your sweetheart’s sweet tooth will be thoroughly satisfied. You can customize these heart-shaped treats with colored frosting and sugar perfect for mixing and matching to your heart’s desire. Just make sure to save a cookie or two for yourself because self-love is important too!
2-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
1-1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Fine Crystal Cane Sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Decorative Sparkling Sugar
1-2 Tbsp. milk
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp. rose water, divided in half
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder
Food coloring (optional)
1/4 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Sea Salt
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, beat cane sugar and butter. Add 1/8 tsp. rose water, vanilla and egg and mix again. Add flour mixture and stir until fully combined. Shape dough into ball, wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out cold dough to 1/8” thickness. Use lightly floured heart-shaped cookie cutters and place cutouts 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges turn lightly golden. Rotate baking sheets halfway through baking time.
- To make frosting, in medium bowl, mix powdered sugar, milk and rose water until smooth. Add additional milk to adjust consistency as needed, and add food coloring, if desired.
- To color sparking sugar, add 1 to 2 drops of food coloring to 1/4 cup of sugar at a time. Mix well to evenly distribute color.
- Let cookies cool completely before frosting and decorating with sugar.