Pure, raw cacao powder and creamy cacao butter replace plain dairy milk chocolate in these better-for-you-nut butter cups. Like almond butter better than peanut butter? Go nuts! These treats are easily customized, right down to the level of sweetness you prefer (Hint: take a peek at step 2!).
Vegan Cacao-Peanut Butter Cups
Makes 13 cups
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, stir in coconut manna, cacao powder, almond meal and maple syrup.
- Taste chocolate mixture, and add more cacao powder for a richer flavor or more maple syrup for sweeter flavor.
- Spoon a teaspoon of chocolate into baking cups, filling 1/3 of the way. (Reserve half of chocolate mixture for top layer of candy.) Freeze for 5 minutes.
- Remove candy from freezer. Add 1 teaspoon peanut butter to each cup, then pour remaining chocolate mixture over peanut butter to fill cups.
- Freeze candy for 15 minutes, then serve.
Nutrition info: 176 calories, 17 grams fat, 6 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 2 grams protein