It’s part cake, part truffle, part tart and all chocolate — this creamy vegan and gluten-free dessert is not one to be missed!
If you’re intimidated by the prospect of attempting a homemade crust, you’ll be happy to know this one has only five ingredients and is easy to assemble, with no baking required. Finished with a satisfyingly creamy filling, the result is an impressive chilled confection that offers a heavenly chocolate flavor and a touch of zesty citrus in every forkful. You’ll definitely want to save this dessert recipe for special potlucks, parties or family gatherings — just be sure to have the recipe handy for everyone who requests it!
For the crust:
• 2 cups almond flour
• ¼ cup cocoa powder
• 10 medjool dates, pitted, soaked in warm water for few minutes to soften if necessary
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the filling:
• 5 cups full fat coconut milk, skimmed from top of can
• ¼ cup cocoa powder
• 6 oz vegan bitter-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup, adjust to taste depending on how sweet your chocolate is
• ½ teaspoon orange zest
1. In food processor, add all crust ingredients and pulse for few seconds until dates break down and mixture becomes a sticky mass.
2. Transfer to a 14 x 4.5-inch rectangular tart pan and press the crust into the pan evenly. Cover with a cling sheet and freeze crust for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
3. To make filling: in large bowl, add coconut milk and place it over a pan of simmering water (not boiling). Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add cocoa powder, chopped chocolate, vanilla extract, orange blossom water and maple syrup. Mix until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from heat and stir in the orange zest. If necessary, strain filling to achieve a smoother texture.
4. Let mixture cool before pouring over crust. Chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
5. Sprinkle with orange zest, cut into slices and serve chilled.
Looking for something else? Browse all dessert recipes on the VitaVibes blog!