Fudge frosting from a can… mmmmm, right? Not so fast. The stuff you buy in the store is likely loaded with partially hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup, which is a real bummer because it tastes so good when you eat it straight from a spoon. There’s good news for cake bakers and dessert lovers, though: you can make your own fudge-flavored cake frosting with just a few simple ingredients! It’s vegan, it’s chocolate-y and it tastes even better on a spoon.
(Editor’s note: This is 100% true. We tried this one straight from the bowl and never got around to actually frosting anything. Sorry not sorry.)
Vegan Fudge Frosting
- In double-boiler, melt chocolate chunks. (No double boiler? No problem: add 1″ water to a medium sauce pan, bring to boil. Turn heat down to medium once water boils. Place a glass bowl over boiling water, use an oven mitt to hold glass bowl.)
- Add chocolate chunks to double boiler/bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Stir in coconut milk until combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour frosting into a glass bowl and cool completely in refrigerator.
- Frost your favorite cake or dip fruit slices into frosting for a treat. (Or eat straight from the bowl. We won’t tell.)