Dish #379 featuring that handy can of black beans: drain ‘em, mash ‘em and mix ‘em with chopped veggies and fresh herbs to create hearty and healthy meat-free burgers. These crowd-pleasing patties are not only easy to make, they’re loaded with protein and omegas from beans and flax – plus, they’re made with a secret ingredient that adds a surprise touch of crunch: crushed lentil chips!
Vegan & Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers
Recipe courtesy of Enjoy Life Foods
1-1/2 cups black beans
1 Tbsp. flax meal or chia meal mixed with 3 Tbsp. hot water
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. tomato paste mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup gluten-free lentil chips, crushed
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In food processor, chop zucchini, carrot garlic and onion.
- Add olive oil to medium sauté pan and heat. Add chopped vegetables and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until veggies are softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In food processor, add black beans and pulse until roughly chopped; place half in a medium-sized bowl (leave remaining half in food processor).
- Combine flax/water mixture, barbecue sauce and tomato paste/water mixture with beans in food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Pour black bean puree into bowl with remaining half of chopped beans. Stir in sautéed vegetables, ½ cup crushed lentil chips and minced cilantro. (Note: Mixture should feel like wet sand. Add more crushed lentil chips or barbecue sauce as needed to achieve this texture.)
- Divide burger mixture into four portions. Shape each portion into 2”-thick patty, then press each side into remaining crushed lentil chips to form a crust.
- In same pan used to sauté vegetables, add a small amount of olive oil and cook burgers for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Arrange burgers on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top burgers with avocado slices.