There’s nothing dull about this stew! Vibrant in taste and color, this vegetable stew recipe takes the best of seasonal summer veggies and mingles them beautifully. Garlic and capers add character to classic stew ingredients like potatoes and green beans. Drizzle with homemade fresh herb purée for even brighter flavors, and you have a hearty, nutritious, plant-based bowl of deliciousness.
Summer Garden Vegetable Stew
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper red, orange or red, medium dice
- 1-1/2 cups green beans or flat Italian beans trimmed, cut into pieces
- 2 cups tricolor baby potatoes halved
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- Dash pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. capers rinsed
- 2 summer squash green and yellow, medium dice
- 2 ears corn
- Handful fresh basil and parsley chopped
In medium pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic and peppers 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
Add water or stock and stir in green beans, potatoes, cherry tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper and capers. Bring to boil, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in summer squash and corn; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Taste and add salt if needed.
To make herb purée, add cleaned and dried herbs, olive oil and salt to blender. Puree until smooth.
Mix in chopped fresh herbs right before serving, and drizzle individual portions with herb purée.