If you get a craving for onion rings, you wouldn’t pick up an order from a fast food restaurant. Of course not! There’s no need to fall completely off the wagon to satisfy a craving. Instead, keep your health in mind and whip up these high-fiber, whole grain onion rings with Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. Serve them with creamy chipotle sauce and quinoa-crusted chicken tenders, fried chicken or quinoa-bean burgers.
3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 tsp. salt
4 large onions, peeled
1/2 cup evaporated milk
6 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg white
- Slice onion into ½-inch thick rings and separate them.
- In a small bowl, sift flour and cornstarch.
- In a large bowl, combine salt, evaporated milk, water, oil and egg white. Mix in flour and cornstarch.
- In a deep fryer or deep pan, add about 3 inches of oil and heat to about 355 degrees F. Line a plate or 2 with towels or paper towels.
- Working with a handful of onion rings at a time, thoroughly coat a bunch in batter. Carefully place in hot oil and cook for 2-3 or until rings are a browned to your preferences.
- Remove from oil and drain on prepared plate.
- Repeat with remaining rings.