Whether your dog is a finicky eater or a chow hound, he’s probably more interested in your “human food” than his own. Face it—unless you cook him specialty meals catered to his unique tastes—your dinner is certainly more appetizing than his. Making your own pet food requires a great deal of research and vet support, but in the meantime, you can whip up a batch of homemade dog treats to get his tail wagging. These treats are loaded with healthy ingredients, including undeniable pup favorites (apples, peanut butter and carrots) for treats that are both healthy and drool-worthy.
1 cup organic brown rice farina
1-1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup whole grain oat flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 large eggs
1/4 cup diced dried apples
1 cup water or broth
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium-sized carrot)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine farina, wheat flour, oats, oat flour, barley flour, wheat germ and nutritional yeast. Add apples.
- In a separate, large bowl, combine eggs, water, peanut butter and molasses. Once combined, add in dry mixture. Fold in carrots and mix until all ingredients are fully combined.
- On a dry, well-floured surface, roll dough out to quarter-inch thickness and cut into shapes. Place cut-outs on prepared baking sheet, leaving them about an inch apart.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until dry.