“Donut” underestimate the versatility of a fluffy, frosted sweet treat. The classic glazed donut has been dressed like a Samoa cookie, frosted like a unicorn and topped with bacon bits. But the party doesn’t stop there. With this semi-homemade recipe, you can turn your own kitchen into a color-rich donut bar. You’ll use matcha green tea, beet juice, turmeric and cacao powders to create a fun, dip-it-yourself station that’s beaming with health benefits. Just add a variety of crunchy toppings and there’s no guesstimating how many delicious combinations can be made.
Yields: 10 donuts
For yellow glaze:
1 tsp. Vitacost Ground Turmeric
For pink glaze:
1 tsp. Vitacost ROOT2 Beet Juice Powder
For chocolate glaze:
1 tsp. Vitacost Organic Cacao Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a donut pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
2. Place butter and sugar in a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Alternatively, place butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
4. Add cake mix and milk; stir until smooth. Using a spatula, scrape sides and bottom of bowl to thoroughly mix all the batter. Mix until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared donut pan, filling each well about 3/4 full.
6. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden.
7. While baking, add all glaze ingredients a medium bowl. Stir until well combined and completely smooth.
8. Divide glaze into four small bowls.
9. Add respective superfood powders to each bowl to create a colorful array of glazes.
10. Once donuts are baked and slightly cool, dip one donut in the green glaze, making sure to cover the top completely. Repeat with remaining donuts, alternating colors.
Optional toppings for your donut bar: