Need energy for a run, workout or other fitness activity – fast? Gels are one of the best ways to go. Made from simple (but useful) natural sugars, often with added electrolytes, vitamins and minerals, gels provide a quick carbohydrate and nutrient boost for instant energy and support for preventing muscle breakdown during workouts. Rather than spending a fortune on the packaged kind, why not try making your own? These simple recipes can be made with pantry staples and a food processor. Just blend, pour into a zipper-lock bag and go, go, go!
DIY Energy Gels
Add ingredients to your food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a baggie, then just clip the end when ready to eat. Gels can can also be stored in glass jars or travel-sized bottles.
1. Coconut Oil & Honey Energy Gel
2. Molasses & Honey Energy Gel
Bonus: Flavor Variations
Add these enhancers to either one of the above recipes for extra flavor and nutrition.
2 Tbsp. grapefruit juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Place banana and agave nectar in blender; blend until smooth.
- Combine mixture with remaining ingredients and energy gel (of choice) ingredients in bowl and stir until smooth.
- Add mixture to a zipper-top bag for on-the-go fuel.