Out of lettuce? Fret not, foodie. Not every salad needs romaine or spinach. In fact, you can serve up a bowl of tasty, nutritional goodness without any greens at all. This salad, made with roasted butternut squash, hearty chickpeas, tangy cranberries, crunchy celery and pumpkin seeds, proves it! Serve with shredded chicken, tofu or cubed cheese for a filling meal or enjoy on its own – either way, this dish will brighten your mood and touch your soul with each bite.
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained
1 small butternut squash
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic glaze
1/4 tsp. each pink salt and ground black pepper
Optional: shredded chicken, cubed tofu or cubed feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast whole squash for 1 hour. Remove and set aside to cool. Once cooled, peel skin and cut into cubes (about 2 cups).
- In bowl, combine chickpeas, cubed squash, cranberries, celery and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic glaze, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and lightly toss.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.