Rich and moist coffee cake is a long-standing breakfast favorite. In this recipe, coconut sugar and shredded coconut bring subtle, tropical flavor into the mix. Spiced with cinnamon and vanilla, it’s perfect for satisfying that mid-morning or afternoon sweet tooth, or serve it for dessert after a nutritious brunch. A helpful tip: make sure you print out this recipe for your guests. Everyone will ask for it!
Cinnamon-Spiced Coconut Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With parchment paper, line a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Combine all topping ingredients. When mixture forms a chunky dough, it’s done. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake. In a small bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and coconut sugar together with an electric mixer until the consistency is fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. Then, add flour mixture. Slowly add buttermilk until it forms a smooth batter.
- Spread and flatten batter onto prepared cake pan. Evenly sprinkle topping over the batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, the cake is done.