Don’t know where to starch your meal planning? Here’s a tip: add this baked potato soup to your list. With baked red potatoes, flavorful and nutritious chicken broth, creamy coconut milk, crispy bacon and fresh chives, this bowl of comfort has everything you need to unwind during a busy week. Serve with a side of veggies or homemade crackers.
Makes 5-1/2 cups
1-1/2 lb. red potatoes
8 oz. chicken broth
8 oz. water
15 oz. (1 can) full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 slices bacon, chopped in thin strips
Chives, chopped, to garnish
Shredded cheese or shredded vegan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake potatoes for 1 hour. Set aside to cool for another hour.
- Once cooled, chop potatoes (about 6 cups).
- To soup pot, add potatoes, chicken broth, water and coconut milk and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and use an immersion blender to smooth to desired consistency. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer soup to blender and return to pot once blended.)
- Simmer soup over low heat and stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Meanwhile, pan-sauté bacon on medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease.
- Add bacon to soup pot.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl and garnish with chives and cheese, if using.