Blue cheese: you love it or your loathe it. Those on the home team are probably cheering for the tangy tone. Meanwhile, the rivals boo those ribbons of blue, declaring it too “cultured” for their liking. But there is middle ground, and you can find it in this mini quiche recipe. Instead of attacking with the offensively odorous cheese itself, the grab-and-go breakfast is seasoned with blue cheese sea salt. It offers the same sharpness but gets mellowed out with morning favorites, including eggs, ham and spinach. So if you didn’t love big blue before, the bold, spirited flavor of sea salt will surely sway you to switch sides.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, sea salt and pepper.
3. Add ham, tomatoes and spinach; stir to combine.
4. Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan, filling each well almost to the top.
5. Bake 12 – 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of quiche comes out clean.
6. Top quiche with fresh basil, grated Parmesan and a pinch more of blue cheese sea salt.