Would you like fries with that? Your stomach wants to shout “yes!” but your brain is telling you, “fries are NOT a part of a balanced diet.”
Curb your cravings and quiet your brain with these sizzling avo slices; they’re lightly breaded and baked to golden perfection, with a crispy outer coating and satisfyingly creamy center. Serve as an appetizer, side or snack for your avocado-loving friends. (That’s everyone, right?)
Makes 24 fries
2 Haas avocados
1 Tbsp. Neat egg mixed with 6 T water (you want it to be slightly runny, not thick as it would be for baking)
1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (or breadcrumbs of choice)
1/4 tsp. pink salt plus extra for finishing
2 tsp. chili powder
Grapeseed oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice each avocado in half, remove peel then remove pit with a spoon.
3. Lay avocado halves onto cutting board then slice each lengthwise into 6 pieces.
4. Mix 1 Tbsp. neat egg with 6 Tbsp. water.
5. Mix together breadcrumbs with salt and chili powder.
6. Use your right hand to dip avocado slice into egg mix and your left hand to dip into the breadcrumb mix. Coat then place onto baking sheet.
7. Repeat for all slices.
8. Spray avocado slices with oil and sprinkle with extra salt.
9. Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven, then carefully flip over using spatula and fork.
10. Bake another 10 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and serve warm.